Best Served... as soon as you pick it up.

I wrote about Joe Abercrombie's "First Law" series way back in 2008. At the time, his first book, well at least the only one that had been released in the US, was "The Blade Itself." I think I mentioned that it took me a while to get settled in, but once I did, I was hooked. As a matter of fact, I read the first book over a period of two or three weeks. I had to have the second book once finished. It was not available in the US. I contacted some of my UK family and asked them to ship me a copy, which they did. I read "Before They Are Hanged" in three days. When finished with that one, I created an account on Amazon.co.uk, ordered the next book, paid the US import tax, and had it shipped here. (Turns out this was cheaper than having my family send me a copy). I read the "Last Argument of Kings" in one sitting. Finished it at 3:00/3:30am. My wife was not happy, but I loved the story, even with the somewhat anticlimactic ending. Imagine my excitement when "Best Served Cold" came out. I grabbed it without hesitation. Abercrombie spends a bit of time in exposition when he writes, so to me it seemed to drag a bit, and I put it down. I later picked up "The Heroes," read that, again, amazing, similar exposition lag, but got off the ground faster in my opinion. But my initial experience with Best Served Cold kept me from picking it up again.

Best Served Cold Illustration
by Darya Kuznetsova

So, I am sitting one evening, sort of pining for a good action fantasy novel. I had just finished Patrick Rothfuss' two "Kvothe" books and was cursing him for not even touching the third, I look down at "Red Country." I know in sequence it comes after "Best Served Cold," but I want to read it. Logan Ninefingers has to be one of my favorite characters and I want to read more of him. Damn, I have to do "Best Served Cold" first... so I pick it up... WHY DIDN'T I STICK WITH IT BEFORE!!!

Abercrombie once again works his magic; his lengthy exposition really pays off. I could almost kick myself for sitting on this book since 2009. Yes, it was that long ago, I read it this year, 2023. Dummkopf. The good thing is it came at just the right moment, and the follow up with "Red Country" is just as entertaining. But I have to say, I think "Best Served Cold" is my favorite book thus far.

Disclaimer for anyone who needs this, "Best Served Cold" is by far more brutal, graphic, and visceral, than its three predecessors. When I teach screenwriting, I teach my students that such things are overused these days and have lost a lot of impact because every writer feels like they have to be more edgy than the last. Honestly, I felt that way about some things in the original first law trilogy, there were places where it felt like the author was forcing such moments just because he had to... no more in this book. He has settled in and those moments support and enhance the story in a good way. 

Another thing that really impresses me about Abercrombie's work is how well he builds and carries a full cast in his stories. In "Best Served Cold" we come alongside a deadly protagonist, Monzcaro Murcatto, the female leader of the mercenary band "The Thousand Swords," whose efforts, skill, and military prowess have cemented the leadership of Grand Duke Orso of Talins. As the story opens, Duke Orso is seeking to wash his hands of the legacy that comes along with having Monza do his dirty work. He betrays her, and a gripping story of recovery and revenge begins. With a daunting task ahead of her, not only exacting revenge on the Duke, but the people who assisted him, Monza assembles a team that Abercrombie is able to carry through with ease. A north man named Caul Shivers, an ex-convict named Friendly, a master poisoner Castor Morveer, and his assistant Day, Shylo Vitari a freelance inquisitor, and finally her old mentor, Nicomo Cosca, a soldier of fortune who once commanded the Thousand Swords. As with the First Law, Abercrombie is able to introduce us to each character and give us something to latch onto, although here, he spends more time with Monza and Caul Shivers, but not so much so that the others get left out. Knowing the characters in story is something Aristotle wrote about, and it holds true today. Joe Abercrombie creates them well.

Best Served Cold - American Cover

Another note of warning, and it seems to be a common thread among authors today, Duncan Hamilton does it, Patrick Rothfuss does, Abercrombie does too, and that is have characters you enjoy snatch defeat from victory with ease. I will say, that while some of the events in the story will have you cursing Joe Abercrombie, he does resolve his stories well. If you want to read a raw, action packed, fantasy story, please read "Best Served Cold." You don't have to read the first law trilogy to pick this up, it really is a standalone.

Here's a link for the book from Amazon: Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release Your Mind... By Reading.

!Some Posts With Artwork!