Wild Bill Hicc... uh Hixson

 


When I read the synopsis for this show, I immediately thought that this idea would never catch on in the UK.  I have English family, some of them worked for the royal family during 1960's and 70's. Two of my cousins were Pages of Honour to the Queen. They still refer to us as the colonies. The idea of an American Police Constable in Lincolnshire automatically struck me as, no, this won't do. I was right on the perception in the UK part. Sadly, ITV did not renew the series after its initial season. You can watch the show on Amazon's Britbox here. I read some of the reviews from British critics, they were exactly what I expected. I won't offer my detailed thoughts on them, but I think I have enough insight to understand why, and in my humble opinion, they are wrong. 

The show follows Bill Hixson, former US Police Chief, played by Rob Lowe, who has a reputation as an efficient, hard, and mechanical leader. He is hired to take charge of the East Lincolnshire Police force which is roughly 120 or so miles north of London on the east coast of England. His primary goals are to increase the efficiency and success of the department, all while cutting expenses and staff. If you can imagine a number of British cops being told what to do by an American superior, in fear of getting laid off, you should see that there's a lot of tension that is coming. It gets worse as we learn in the first episode that Bill was fired from his previous position in Miami for losing his temper and beating up a civilian. 

The show has a similar style and quality to Wallander and Shetland, but perhaps not quite so dark. Each episode of Wild Bill follows a similar formula in that some unique homicide takes place, but the resolutions for each will catch you by surprise in a good way. On top of the main plot points for each episode, there are overarching points that weave throughout the show. Worth watching if you can live with the idea that some of these will never be resolved. 

The performances are pretty good as well. Hixson is pretty much on an island. He has one, perhaps two allies, but that's it. The disdain that the British officers have for him is well felt, and infuriating. I have to say that I have never been a huge fan of Rob Lowe, well except for his portrayal as the young Number One in the Austin Powers movies, always felt him to be a bit of a rigid actor, but he does a good job with this character. Perhaps the rigidity plays well into Hixson's character, but well done here Rob Lowe. Bronwyn James, Anjli Mohindra, Anthony Flanagan, and Steffan Rodhri turn in some very good performances as well. 

If you want a decent detective/crime drama, then watch Wild Bill on Britbox. Keep in mind, you are not going to be happy with ITV when you are done, well at least I think you won't, but you will have watched some good stories, well played.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

!Some Posts With Artwork!

Release Your Mind... By Reading.