Dragons, Swords, Magic - The World of Duncan M. Hamilton

 

This post isn't so much about one book, but a series. Several years ago I was looking for a good series to read, or listen to, again lots of time in a car, and stumbled across The Wolf of the North by Duncan M. Hamilton. If you read through reviews about his books you will get a mixed bag, but I would submit to you that the naysayers are... well... blind. 

I think the important thing with Hamilton is to read all of his books in the framework of the world he is painting. That will really show how flexible this man is with his writing craft. In a simplified way, through the three series I have read so far, you have your barbarian story, your musketeer story, and your dragon slayer story. All very different, but they fit well together. Kind of reminds me of Joe Abercrombie, but the vulgarity isn't so present, which is nice. 

One thing I will warn you is that Hamilton likes to dash your hopes on a regular basis. The Wolf of the North is particularly good at this. What is impressive though is how Hamilton uses traditional symbolism and representation in a non-traditional way to dash your hopes. I will not say more than that, you will have to read them to understand. 

The Wolf of the North series follows Wulfric, a young northern (viking?) boy who grows from being a chubby bullied kid to the greatest warrior of the kingdom. It has a bit of a story within a story element to it, similar to Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the Wind. The difference here is, you will be able to read the final book. In my humble opinion a good author will help you connect well with his characters. Hamilton does that really well, and as I mentioned, he will have you yelling at him because of the crucible he puts those characters through. I wrote in a review for Wolf of the North, on audible, "Hamilton does a wonderful job of having his protagonists snatch defeat from vistory on a regular basis," the problem, well not a problem, is you have to keep reading. 

The series is heartwrenching in my humble opinion. Maybe I am just a softy. If I could say one negative thing about Hamilton is that he telegraphs his designs a bit too easily, so you know what is coming. The caveat is, you know it's coming, but its written in a way that makes you want to continue on. The books in this series are The Wolf of the North, Jorundyr's Path, The Blood Debt.

The second series I have read thus far is The Society of the Sword trilogy, and its prequel, The First Blade of Ostia, which is a must read. I found this series to be just as heavy as the first, again Hamilton does so much damage to his heroes if often makes you want to throw the book across the room... in a good way, and it keeps you reading with the slightest hope that something good will happen eventually. And that may, or may, not happen.

My favorite thing about this series is it has a very Three Musketeers feel to it. Not so much in the humor and camaraderie that Dumas' weaves with his protagonists, but that same sort of intrique and masterful exposition on fighting with a fencing rapier and such. I would say Three Musketeers meets The Blade Itself meets Dragonlance... kinda. 

The series begins in the prequel where we meet Bryn Pendolo and Amero dal Moreno, who will figure into the trilogy. Here we learn of the rich heritage of their home kingdom, Ostia, and the emphasis on the sword and the title, First Blade of Ostia. The relationship between these two men, and how wicked and contentious it becomes, sets the framework for the next three books, The Tattered Banner, The Huntsman's Amulet, and The Telastrian Song. With that said, you do not really have to read prequel to start out, but it will help ground the villain quite a bit. 

The series follows Soren, a homeless street rat who is seen during a fight in the streets by a wealthy benefactor. The boys speed and ability against several foes piques the interest of the benefactor, who sponsors Soren to the prestigious Academy of Swordsmanship. Here he learns how to fence, gain control over his gifts, and become an unwitting pawn in court intrique. It will cost Soren quite a lot before the end. 

The third series I have been working on is the Dragonslayer series. I have not completed all three yet, but I will. It just occured to me that I put the images in with no thought to the order of the review... oh well. Anway, first book and a half down and again Hamilton has taken me on another roller coaster ride. 

This series is turning out to be my favorite. Mind you I have not reached the resolution yet, so that could change, but so far, super. The story takes place in the same world, but across the middle sea in the country of Mirabaya. 

Dragons are a thing of legend, one has not been seen in a thousand years. A "scientific exploration," accidentally awakens a dormant dragon. He begins to wreak havoc over western Mirabaya, burning down towns, eating livestock, roasting citizens.

Enter Guillot dal Villevauvais, one of the last knights of the Silver Circle. The Chevalier's of the Silver Circle had been founded centuries earlier to handle dragons. The order still exists, but they are a defunct group of fat old drunkards. Guillot is called upon by the King, and the leader of the Church, the Prince Bishop, to handle the problem. Intrique, sorcery, and dragon slaying... or more, ensue. 

This novel is much more Three Musketeers than the Society of the Sword, the latter has really more of an Italian feel to it. Mirabaya has a French culture to it, which Hamilton pulls off fairly well. Considering he is Irish, he probably has had decent exposure to many of the cultures he has developed in his books.

Anyway, my favorite part of this story is the protagonist, Guillot dal Villevauvias. Guillot is an older, retired noble who has retreated into the bottle and to his remote estate. He has already had a lifetime of political intrique beat him down once. Maybe I can identify with him more... ha. He initially refuses the request to get involved, he knows what's coming, and I am not talking about the dragon. It's only when he is confronted by the behemoth that he agrees. He has to shake off the rust, dust off his boots, and get back into the game, and it is a game. 

I am pretty sure Hamilton has a few other story series in this world of Middle Sea. I will probably look them up after I am done with the Dragonslayer series. If you like fantasy stories and all of that, you will most likely enjoy Duncan M. Hamilton. 

Tschus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wild Bill Hicc... uh Hixson

Insanely Ridiculous