More Hyperborian Age
50 years later and I am still reading sword and sorcery novels. Conan the Barbarian is still one of my go tos. The characters Howard, and subsequent authors, developed in that universe are rich and fun. One of my favorites in the Conan universe is the swashbuckling captain Valeria. She's sexy, strong, and still all woman.
Side note, while Sandahl Bergman, who played Valeria in John Milius' epic "Conan the Barbarian," was a crush of mine, she's not the same Valeria.
Anyway, in the stories, she matches Conan's skill and bravado to a tee, a fun character to read. She goes toe to toe with the big barbarian in many ways... yes, many ways. Which leads to, S.M. Stirling's "Conan: The Blood of the Serpent," published in 2022. I picked it up on Audible recently as I spend a lot of time in the car. Stirling sets up the story as their first in person meeting and lays it out as a precursor to Robert E. Howard's Conan story, "The Red Nails," published in 1936. "The Red Nails" is also included in the audiobook and written volume.
The story has traditional R.E. Howard intrigue, swordplay, and yes, sorcery, but the much of the story is developing Conan's relationship with Valeria. It also has some elements of a Bernard Cornwell novel, a la Sharpe's Rifles. The battle sequences pace a lot like Cornwell's work. It's worth a read, or a listen.
Bradford Hastings does a really great job with the read. Even though Howard hailed from Texas, I always kind of heard Conan in more of a Scots-Irish voice, which is kind of who Howard based the Cimmerians on. (He combined the historical Cimmerians with his own Irish background and Celtic, Gaelic, and Scottish Highland culture). Anyway, I was worried about listening to a regular old "murican" reading this story. I have since purchased several other newer Conan stories read by Hastings, he does a great job. His strongest point, interestingly enough, is his interpetation of Conan's voice. I now wish he would go back and record audio versions all of the early Howard, L. Sprague De Camp, and Robert Jordan Conan stories.
My only beef with the story is the initial meeting between Conan and Valeria. I think Conan's dialog with her is a little emasculating for him. The rest of the story, super fun. Hell, even the first meeting is fun. I just don't think Conan would pussy foot around the way he does here... but hey, that's my take. If you have read this story, or maybe listened, make a counterpoint in the comments.
Anyway, if you like Conan stories, pick up S.M. Stirling's "The Blood of the Serpent." You will not be disappointed.
Once again, how can you have a Conan article without cool Conan images. I leave you some with the wonderful Valeria.





Comments